Skip to main content

Urgent Flood Advice - Business Rates

BII Business Rates advisor, Harris Lamb has the following suggestions for all pubs affected by flooding, either directly or indirectly.

For all closures up to three months, the ratepayer should contact the Local Authority to have the rates stopped for the period of closure. This may involve a brief inspection of the site by the Council’s representative to ensure all claims are genuine.

Where the property is likely to be closed or trade altered for longer than three months the ratepayer should contact Harris Lamb to discuss all possible action including challenging the actual inclusion of the property in the Rating List.

Photographic evidence of the flooding, damage to property and surrounding access routes is very useful, as are all documents relating to lost trading and fixtures and fittings and the damage done to the local area. For example, the flooding of a local holiday park may affect an unflooded pubs' ability to trade effectively due to loss of regular customers. Similarly, the loss of access routes can also cause disruption to trade levels even if the pub is able to open.

If the site receives a reduced liability, it is likely that the Valuation Office will need to inspect the site once all repairs have been made and will reinstate the address with a revised valuation from the date of completion. 

In the first instance licensees should contact the Council for cessation of rates and then call Harris Lamb to discuss further long-term Business Rates possibilities.

We are here to offer assistance at this time and will do all we can to help anyone who contacts us about the Business Rate burden.

BII Members can call our Helpline on 0330 058 3878 for more advice.